Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Dream Coming True - Rails/Merb on the Macintosh

Last friday I received my MacBook Pro 17" laptop from Apple.

Yup.  Me, who wants to do Rails/.NET/Java work, spent a wad on a Mac.  Some of you may be asking, "Why?"

Simple.  The Mac OS X operating system in a very classy and functional chassis.

My objective: develop Rails apps and deploy them into a virtual machine.  Without Windows interference.

So, tonight I downloaded VMWare Fusion for the Mac (as well as Parallel Desktop, a competitor) and installed them both.  I then poked around and, lo, here's a virtual application available with both Rails and Merb already installed on it.

What th' heck!  So I downloaded the Rails/Merb virtual image and had VMWare install and run it.  Voila!  I could browse both the Rails and the Merb instances inside the VMWare virtual machine in my Mac!  I could also ssh to the virtual machine and modify the programs inside.

So, I'm well on my way to "throwing the rope across the canyon."  When I do my first deployment to the virtual machine, I will feel as though I've made it.

Hey.  My wife just brought in the Vista Ultimate DVD package, so I'm now gonna mount that in the MacBook as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment